Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Marjorie Pay Hinckley


I love learning more about Marjorie Hinckley and what a beautiful person she was. She was a loving mother of 5 and a devoted wife to Gordon B Hinckley for nearly 67 years. Everyone that knew her talked about her strong love for our Savior and for her family. As I was giving our visiting teaching message last night I read a quote from Marjorie Hinckley that said:

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.

I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.

I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children.

I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someones garden.

I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.

I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."

I love this quote. Sometimes with all the hustle and bustle of things and the craziness of life we need to stop and ask ourselves if what we are doing is important... will it be remembered... did we take the time to teach our children what it truly means to be a child of God... did we help that friend in need... did we really live life...

I want to have amazing memories with my family. I want to say that I helped someone in need. I want to enjoy every messy, sticky, playful moment with our children. I want to be the best me that I can be.

And most of all when I reach those pearly gates I want Heavenly Father to smile upon me and know that I really lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment